Recreation & Parks Job View
|Job Title:||Recreation Manager|
|Department:||Oconee County Parks and Recreation|
|Location:||Oconee County, GA|
|Minimum Education:||4 Year College Degree|
|Minimum Experience:||Related degree supplemented by six (6) to nine (9) years previous experience and/or training involving recreational program administration|
|Salary:||$41,726 - $59,962|
|Contact Name:||Jill Faulkner|
|Contact Method:||Phone, Email, or Mail|
PO Box 145
Watkinsville, Georgia 30677
|Job Detail:||CLASSIFICATION TITLE: RECREATION MANAGER
PURPOSE OF CLASSIFICATION
The purpose of this classification is to perform administrative functions associated with planning, implementing,
managing and evaluating recreational programs, events, services and activities. This position reports to the Parks and
The following duties are normal for this position. These are not to be construed as exclusive or all-inclusive.
Other duties may be required and assigned.
- Supervises, directs, and evaluates assigned staff, processing employee concerns and problems, directing work, counseling, disciplining, and completing employee performance appraisals; conducts training activities.
- Develops and manages the planning, implementing, monitoring, scheduling, and evaluating of recreational programs and activities, to include athletic programs, after school, summer day camp, and special events; attends various work unit programs.
- Manages the daily operations of recreational programs; coordinates the collection and analysis of data; develops performance goals and measures with and for work units; evaluates and provides necessary reports to Director.
- Oversee the planning, organization, implementation and evaluation of the afterschool and summer day camp programs, including staff training, staff supervision and facility usage.
- Consults with the director and other officials as needed to review department activities and policies, provide recommendations, resolve problems, and receive advice/direction.
- Consults with assigned staff to review work requirements, status, and problems; assists with complex or problem situations; provides direction, advice, and technical expertise.
- Prepares and implements short and long-term goals and objectives; develops recreation activities operating and capital improvement budgets including a five year plan and assists them with the management of work unit budgets; manages all expenditures under current budget; assists with the development of the department’s budget.
- Enforces department /government rules and regulations; keeps staff informed of policy changes; reviews, updates and develops standard operating procedures.
- Negotiates, drafts, reviews and recommends contracts and/or agreements administered through the Oconee County government and outside recreational service providers.
- Consults with personnel coordinating usage of facilities to provide county facilities for recreational programs, activities and events.
- Plans, organizes, implements, and evaluates department sponsored or co-sponsored events as approved by the Director.
- Maintains the scheduling of youth sports programs, games, tournaments, practices, contests, and other activities at county athletic fields and recreation facilities; manages the recruitment, training and scheduling of officials.
- Coordinates the planning, organizing and implementation of shared programs and facilities.
- Coordinates facility maintenance/repair work; assists with field/equipment set-up for activities and events, which may include preparing athletic fields for use, marking lines on ballfields, packing bases/mounds, distributing sports
equipment and general housekeeping tasks.
- Coordinates availability of necessary equipment, materials, uniforms, and supplies at activity sites; oversees inventory levels and storage of recreation equipment, uniforms, and supplies; initiates requests for new or replacement materials.
- Maintains records of program participation, results, evaluations, revenues, expenditures, and other departmental activities; maintains program registration information.
- Processes a variety of documentation associated with departmental operations, per established procedures and within designated timeframes; distributes documentation or retains records as appropriate.
- Communicates with Department Director, employees, other departments, sports officials, volunteers, parents, students, program participants, vendors, the public, and other individuals as needed to coordinate work activities, review status of work, exchange information, or resolve problems.
- Adheres and ensures adherence to established safety procedures and county Safety Policies and Procedures; utilizes safety equipment and implements public safety and maintenance strategies to ensure safety of employees and other individuals; coordinates maintenance and security needs; responds to emergencies as needed.
Operates a motor vehicle to conduct work activities.
Provides assistance to other employees or departments as needed.
Performs other related duties as required.
Bachelor’s degree in Recreation Administration, Sports Management, or closely related field; supplemented by six (6)
to nine (9) years previous experience and/or training involving recreational program administration; or any equivalent
combination of education, training, and experience which provides the requisite knowledge, skills, and abilities for this
job. Previous supervisory experience preferred. Must possess and maintain a valid Georgia driver’s license. Must have
current certification in First-Aid and Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR).
Data Utilization: Requires the ability to review, classify, categorize, prioritize, and/or analyze data. Includes exercising discretion in determining data classification, and in referencing such analysis to established standards for the purpose of recognizing actual or probable interactive effects and relationships.
Human Interaction: Requires the ability to apply principles of persuasion and/or influence over others in a supervisory capacity.
Equipment, Machinery, Tools, and Materials Utilization: Requires the ability to operate, maneuver and/or control the actions of equipment, machinery, tools, and/or materials used in performing essential functions.
Verbal Aptitude: Requires the ability to utilize a wide variety of reference, descriptive, and/or advisory data and information.
Mathematical Aptitude: Requires the ability to perform addition, subtraction, multiplication and division; ability to calculate decimals and percentages; may include ability to perform mathematical operations with fractions; may include ability to compute discount, interest, profit and loss, ratio and proportion; may include ability to calculate surface areas, volumes, weights, and measures.
Functional Reasoning: Requires the ability to apply principles of rational systems; to interpret instructions furnished in written, oral, diagrammatic, or schedule form; and to exercise independent judgment to adopt or modify methods and standards to meet variations in assigned objectives.
Situational Reasoning: Requires the ability to exercise judgment, decisiveness and creativity in situations involving evaluation of information against measurable or verifiable criteria.
Physical Ability: Tasks require the ability to exert moderate, though not constant physical effort, typically involving some combination of climbing and balancing, stooping, kneeling, crouching, and crawling, and which may involve some lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling of objects and materials of moderate weight (12-20 pounds).
Sensory Requirements: Some tasks require the ability to perceive and discriminate colors or shades of colors, sounds, odor, depth, texture, and visual cues or signals. Some tasks require the ability to communicate orally.
Environmental Factors: Performance of essential functions may require exposure to adverse environmental conditions, such as dirt, dust, pollen, odors, wetness, humidity, rain, fumes, temperature and noise extremes, machinery, vibrations, electric currents, traffic hazards, toxic agents, disease, or pathogenic substances.
Oconee County, Georgia, is an Equal Opportunity Employer. In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act, the County will provide reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities and encourages both prospective and current employees to discuss potential accommodations with the employer.